|Year of creation||2001|
The Pikmin Series is a series of games where you take control of the Hocotate Freight employee: Captain Olimar and some other characters. So far there are 3 games in the series, and you're working against a time limit in each one (with Pikmin 2 being an exception).
The Pikmin Series has two Pikmin related communities on Miiverse.
The official source for the latest Pikmin 3 news and information. Posting is restricted to Nintendo representatives, but you are free to add your own comments.
Support Olimar Community
A special Sub community for Super Smash Bros. For Wii U/3DS. Users can only post drawings in this community, and the drawings that make it to the popular posts section appear on the Miiverse Stage when players play as Olimar.
PikminIn the first Pikmin Game, Olimar was taking a space vacation, when his ship, the S.S. Dolphin, gets hit by a meteor and crashes into the distant planet, losing many parts along the way. Olimar must find his 30 ship parts to repair his ship before his life support system runs out, which only lasts him 30 days. Luckily, he happens to find small creatures called Pikmin, and uses them to get his ship parts back. The game has 3 endings depending on how many ship parts you get by day 30. Getting less than 25 ship parts will get you the worst ending, getting 25-29 ship parts will get you the normal ending (which seems to be the canon ending), and getting all 30 ship parts gets you the best ending.
Once he returns to planet Hocotate, Olimar finds out his Company, Hocotate Freight, is suffering a massive debt due to a new employee called Louie, failing to deliver Pik-Pik carrots to a certain planet. When his boss finds out Olimar's valuable souvenir came from the distant planet, he immediately sends Olimar and Louie back to the distant planet to collect more treasure. There, they discover two new types of Pikmin, Purple and White. They use the new pikmin and the old ones to help them get their treasure and clear their debt. Unlike Pikmin 1, you're not working against a time limit, and are free to take as many days as you want.
In Pikmin 3, the story revolves around 3 new protagonists named Alph, Britanny, and Charlie. Their home planet, Koppai, is suffering from a food shortage. One of the satelittes Koppai sent has detected a planet with a large amount of abnormally sized fruit, and send Alph, Britanny, and Charlie there, however, they crash land. Lucky for them, said planet happens to be the distant planet, and they use the Pikmin to carry the fruit back to their ship, the S.S. Drake, along with other goodies they find. There are also 2 new types of Pikmin, Rock Pikmin and Winged Pikmin. You're working against a time limit like in pikmin 1, but it's a little different this time. You can take as many days as you need, but you have to collect fruit to squeeze them into juice to consume them for the night. No juice = Game over.
Pikmin 4 was confirmed to be in development in 2015 and supposedly almost complete. Nothing has been heard about the game since then and its assumed to be an NX title.
Pikmin 3DS (Name not final)
In 2016 an untitled Pikmin game was announced for the Nintendo 3DS via Nintendo Direct.Unlike the previous 3 entries in the series, Pikmin 3DS will be a 2D instead of 3D.
Types of Pikmin
- Red Pikmin: The first type of Pikmin usually encountered. They're the second strongest type of Pikmin, and are immune to fire hazards.
- Yellow Pikmin: Can be thrown higher than the other Pikmin. Immune to electricity hazards, and are the only ones that can pick up bomb rocks in Pikmin 1 (though any Pikmin can pick up bomb rocks in Pikmin 3).
- Blue Pikmin: Overall average Pikmin. The only notable feature they have, is that they're the only type of Pikmin that can breathe in water, and are immune to water hazards.
- Purple Pikmin: The strongest type of Pikmin, but also the slowest. It has the carrying strength of 10 Pikmin (yes, I said 10).
- White Pikmin: The fastest type of Pikmin. Able to dig up buried treasure in Pikmin 2, and are immune to poison hazards.
- Rock Pikmin: A rather slow Pikmin. It can't latch on to enemies when thrown, but deals heavy damage to them AND they're the only type that can break crystal. Cannot be crushed.
- Winged Pikmin: As their name suggests, they can fly. They can take advantage of this to traverse water, carry things that are unreachable for other Pikmin, as well as raise certain gates. Cannot be crushed.
Types of hazards
- Fire: An extremely recurring hazard. If your Pikmin are caught on fire, quickly whistle them to blow it out before they die. Red Pikmin are not affected by this.
- Electricity: Not as recurring as fire, but still a rather common one. Instantly kills Pikmin in Pikmin 2, but they merely stun Pikmin in Pikmin 3 until they're whistled back. Yellow Pikmin are not affected by this.
- Water: Probably the most common hazard out of them all. Pikmin are unable to swim in water, and will start to drown. Quickly whistle them back to shore before they die. Some enemies use water as projectiles, which in that case you are to whistle them to get it off them before they die. Blue Pikmin are not affected by this and to some extent, Winged Pikmin.
- Poison: Very identical to fire, except not very common. Just whistle the Pikmin if they get it on them, and they'll be alright. Does not affect white Pikmin.
- Crushing: Some enemies like Wollywogs use this as their main method of attack. Will instantly kill Pikmin. Does not affect Rock Pikmin and Winged Pikmin.
- Explosions: Very self explanitory. A wide-range blast which will instantly kill Pikmin. No Pikmin is immune to this.
- Bottomless pits: If Pikmin are thrown into these, they die. What did you expect? It's also extremely unlikely to happen, since they're usually out of the way. You'd have to be either really stupid or really reckless if you get your Pikmin killed by these.
- Olimar's name; Orima, is an anagram of Mario.
- Pikmin started off as a tech demo under "Mario 128" to show off the GameCube's processing power, this tech demo formed the basis for the Pikmin series.
Super Mario Series * The Legend of Zelda Series * Star Fox Series * Kid Icarus series * Metroid Series * Pokémon Series * Super Smash Bros. Series * Pikmin Series * Kirby Series * Wario Land Series * Animal Crossing Series * Donkey Kong Series * Earthbound/Mother series